Frequently Asked Questions

Code Enforcement
Public Works
   Snow Removal
   Sanitary Sewer


What Is Market Value?

Finding the market value of your property involves discovering the price most people would pay for it in its present condition. It's not quite that simple, however, because the assessor has to find what this value would be for every property, no matter how big or small. But the assessor's job doesn't stop there. Each year it has to be done all over again, because the market value of almost everything changes from one year to the next-as we all know.

Why Have A Property Tax?

Properties are appraised so that those of us who want the advantages of having schools, fire and police protection, and other public benefits (which means just about all of us), can absorb our fair share of the cost, in proportion to the amount of money our individual properties are worth. The property tax is part of a well-balanced revenue system. It is a more stable source of money than sales and income taxes because it does not fluctuate when communities have recessions. When the community spends your tax dollars on better schools, parks, and so on, your property values rise. Some of the windfall benefits you receive are recaptured by the property tax.

How Is Property Appraised?

To find the value of any piece of property the assessor must first know what properties similar to it are selling for, what it would cost today to replace it, how much it takes to operate and keep it in repair, what rent it may earn, and many other dollar facts affecting its value, such as the current rate of interest charged for borrowing the money to buy or build properties like yours. Using these facts, the assessor can then go about finding the property's value in three different ways.

  1. Sales comparison approach 
    The first method compares your property to others that have sold recently. These prices, however, must be analyzed very carefully to get the true picture. One property may have sold for more than it was really worth because the buyer was in a hurry and would pay any price. Another may have sold for less money than it was actually worth because the owner needed cash right away. The property was sold to the first person who made an offer. When using the sales comparison approach, the assessor must always consider such overpricing or under pricing and analyze many sales to arrive at a fair valuation of your property. Size, quality, condition, location, and time of sale are also important factors to consider.
  2. Cost approach
    A second way to value your property is based on how much money it would take, at current material and labor costs, to replace your property with one similar. If your property is not new, the assessor must also determine how much it has depreciated. In addition, the assessor must estimate how much a lot like yours would be worth if vacant.
  3. Income approach
    The third way is to evaluate how much income your property would produce if it were rented as an apartment house, a store, or a factory. The assessor must consider operating expenses, taxes, insurance, maintenance costs, and the return most people would expect on your kind of property.

Why Do Assessed Values Change From Year To Year?

When market value changes, naturally so does assessed value. For instance, if you were to add a garage to your home, the assessed value would increase. However, If your property is in poor repair, the assessed value would decrease. The assessor has not created the value. People Make Value by their transactions in the market place. The assessor simply has the legal responsibility to study those transactions and appraise your property accordingly.

What Are Your Rights And Responsibilities?

If your opinion of the value of your property differs from the assessor's, by all means go to the office and discuss the matter. Staff will be glad to answer your questions about the appraisal and explain how to appeal if you cannot come to an agreement. The assessor's office relies on the property owner for information. You can help by providing accurate information. If you feel taxes are too high, you should make your opinion known to the proper taxing authorities. Ask about your eligibility for special exemptions.

Top of Page


How much does a Building Permit cost?

The cost of the permit depends on the type of work to be done and the cost of the project to be completed. All permit fees are regulated by and specified in the Code of Ordinances. You can also call the Building department at 424-2782.

Will my contractor obtain the permit?

The reputable contractors know the requirements and abide by them. Unfortunately, not all contractors comply with the Township code. Remember, it is the property owner who is responsible for ensuring that all work on his/her property is preceded by acquisition of the appropriate permits.

How do I find out if my contractor is licensed?

State law requires that all construction work be done by a licensed contractor. Residents are discouraged from hiring unlicensed contractors. Both the unlicensed contractor and the owner who ordered the work may be subject to severe fines and penalties. Call the Building Department at 424-2782 to verify a contractor's status before you sign a contract for repairs or construction work.

What else should I ask a proposed contractor about?

To protect yourself from a lawsuit, verify that the contractor has adequate workers compensation and general liability insurance coverage. The Township requires contractors to file proof of such insurance coverage before any work can begin.

Is the contractor required to get any other permits?

Contractors are required to obtain occupational permits in order to solicit or perform any type of construction work in the Township. The Township will not issue the permit unless the contractor first provides proof of the appropriate insurance coverage.

What happens if I get caught doing work without a building permit?

Minimally, the building inspector will issue a "cease work" order until you obtain the proper building permit. The minimum penalty for doing work without a permit is that you will be charged twice the normal fee for the building permit for the type of work you are having done. If the work being done is in violation of the building codes or the zoning regulations, the work must be changed to comply or else the work must be undone.

Top of Page

Code Enforcement

Who should I contact for a grass/weeds complaint?

The Township of Grand Blanc has adopted a policy that all complaints must be in writing for the township to investigate. You can fill out the online form here or download the Complaint Referral form and fax or e-mail it to the Township.

Who do I call with a complaint or a question?

The Township of Grand Blanc has adopted a policy that all complaints must be in writing for the township to investigate. You can fill out the online form here or download the Complaint Referral form and fax or e-mail it to the Township.

My neighbor has a car that’s been sitting up on blocks for months, is that allowed?

Any vehicle stored on a property must be operable, have a current license and be parked on a paved surface.

I filed a complaint awhile back and nothing's happened. Why hasn't Code Enforcement responded yet?

Once a complaint has been received, the Township sends the property owner a letter informing them of the violation and informs them that they have 10 business days to resolve the issue.  If the property owner does not take care of the violation, The Township may issue the property owner a court appearance ticket. Once a ticket is issued a judge will determine if an order will be issued to correct the problem.

If I cannot fix a problem within the time allotted on the notice, will Code Enforcement work with me?

In certain circumstances the Township will work with property owners to set a reasonable time frame for violations to be resolved if the work will take longer than ten days.

My neighbor's grass is a foot long. Don't they have to mow it!?

The lawn grass/weeds cannot be longer than 8". Once a complaint has been received, the Township sends the property owner a letter informing them of the violation and informs them that they have 10 business days to resolve the issue.  If the property owner does not mow the grass the Township’s contractor will mow the property at a cost of $165.00.

Top of Page

Public Works

Snow Removal

What is the township policy regarding snow removal?

The township does not plow until we receive 4 inches of snow. We try to begin plowing as soon as the snowfall ends. If forecasts indicate a very heavy accumulation we may start during the storm and make more than one pass through the township. It takes approximately 12 hours to plow the entire township one time. Be patient, we will be working as fast as we can. If your street has not been plowed 24 hours after the snowfall ends call the D.P.W. office.

What do I do if the township breaks my mailbox while plowing snow?

When plowing snow we attempt to get as close to the curb as we can. So it is not unusual to have some damaged mailboxes. If we break it we will fix it. If your mailbox was broken by us, call the township office and report it. The day after we complete the snow removal we will begin making repairs. In some cases we may have to make a temporary repair, which will allow you to receive your mail, and come back and complete the repair in the spring. If your mail box is repairable the Township will repair it but if the mail box is beyond repair it will be replaced with a standard mail box and a standard pole.

What if the snowplows damage my yard?

Call the township office and report the damage. We will send someone out to investigate the complaint. We will repair the damage but it will probably be spring before we are able to make any serious repairs.

Top of Page

Sanitary Sewer

I had a sewer back up during a recent rainstorm. What should I do?

  1. Call the Township immediately! During normal business hours, Monday – Friday 8:00am to 5:00pm, the number is 810-424-2640. After hours call 810-424-2611 (Township Police Department dispatch desk operated 24/7). Backed up sanitary sewer lines, line breaks, sewage odors and overflowing manholes are considered an emergency. On-call DPW personnel will be contacted to respond to the call. If the blockage is in the sanitary sewer main line, we will fix it as quickly as possible and keep you informed about what is being done.
  2. If the sewer main is found to be clear, it is the responsibility of the property owner to call a plumber or sewer/drain cleaning service to correct the problem. The property owner is responsible for maintaining adequate flow to and through the sewer lateral from the property structure and into the sewer main.

How should I go about having my basement cleaned after a sanitary sewer backup?

  • Hire a cleaning service or follow the suggestions below.
  • If floodwaters or sewage fill your basement, you MUST clean properly to prevent you and your family from becoming sick or injured. Do Not bring children into the flooded area during clean up! Use protective clothing including boots, goggles and gloves.
  • The following are suggestions on how to clean up a flood or sewage problem.
  • Drain all floodwaters and/or sewage by natural draining or pumping.
  • Remove dirt, soil and debris from surfaces that came in contact with floodwaters.
  • Wash down all walls, floors and surfaces that the floodwater or sewage touched with clean, warm or hot water and a low suds detergent.
  • Rinse again with warm or hot water.
  • Sanitize by rinsing walls, floors and surfaces.
  • Air the area by opening windows or using fans.
  • Prevent tracking flood debris and sewage into clean areas.
  • Contact DPW for additional advise as necessary.

How do I pay for the clean up?

  • Many homeowners' insurance policies exclude damage resulting from sewer backups. However, some insurance companies do provide sewer backup coverage. If you are concerned about the possibility of a sewer backup and want to ensure that you are covered, DPW urges you to check with your home insurer regarding the availability of sewer backup insurance.
  • Public Act 170 of 1964, as amended by Public Act 222 of 2001, requires that if you are seeking compensation for personal injury or property damage, you must show that the sewage disposal system had a defect; that the appropriate government agency knew, or reasonably should have known, about the defect; that the defect was not remedied by the government agency in a reasonable time; that the property damage or personal injury resulted because of the defect; and that you own and have related the value of the damaged personal property.
  • If any of the damaged property is personal property, reasonable proof of ownership and the value of the damaged personal property. Reasonable proof may include testimony or records documenting the ownership, purchase price, or value of the property, or photographic or similar evidence showing the value of the property.
  • If you contacted the Township in regards to a sewer problem at your residence, the Township will send out a claim form even though the Township may not be responsible for your problem so that you can provide proper notice to the Township of a claim for damages as a result of a sewer backup. The completed claim notice must be mailed to the Charter Township of Grand Blanc P.O. Box 1833, Grand Blanc, Michigan 48480-0057. Failure to provide the required notice may prevent recovery of damages.

I have a problem in the sanitary sewer service lead (lateral). Whom do I call for help?

  • You will need to call a plumber or sewer/drain cleaning service. Check your phone directory. DPW cannot make a recommendation. It may be in your best interest to obtain several estimates.
  • REMEMBER TO CALL DPW FIRST before calling a plumber. We will check the sanitary sewer main line and inform you of our findings. If the problem is not in the main line sanitary sewer, you will be advised to contact a plumber or sewer/drain cleaning service.

What is a sanitary sewer service lead (lateral)?

A sanitary sewer lateral or house lateral is the pipeline between the sanitary sewer main, usually located in the street, and the house/building. 
A. The sewer lateral is owned and maintained by the property owner including any part, which may extend into the street or public right of way.

What is connected to this sanitary sewer service lead (lateral)?

All of the plumbing fixtures in your building are connected to this system through a series of pipes behind the walls and under the floors. This includes: toilets, showers, bathtubs, sinks, washing machines and floor drains.

What might have caused the sanitary sewer to back up?

More often than not, the cause of a backup in your lateral is from items that the line is not meant to handle, such as kid's toys, underwear, towels, diapers, paper products (other than toilet paper), keys and even false teeth. What you flush down the toilet may not affect you, but it might cause problems for your neighbors! Another possible cause would be roots in your lateral. The sewer lateral is the responsibility of the owner of the property from the house to the street.

Top of Page

What can I do to prevent a sanitary sewer backup?

  • The property owner can do many things to prevent the lateral from backing up. Remember too, that these very same things can help to prevent backups in the sanitary sewer main as well. If everyone would be careful about how they dispose of certain products, our systems would be a great deal more efficient, cause fewer backups, cost us all less money, and prevent a lot of misery.
  • Grease: Cooking oil should be poured into a heat-resistant container and disposed of, after it cools off, in the garbage, not the drain. Some people assume that washing grease down the drain with hot water is satisfactory. This grease goes down the drain, cools off, and solidifies either in the drain, the property owner’s line, or in the main sewer. When this happens, the line constricts, and eventually clogs.
  • Paper Products: Paper towels, disposable and cloth diapers and feminine products cause a great deal of problems in the property owner's lateral as well as in the sewer main. These products do not deteriorate quickly, as does bathroom tissue. They become lodged in portions of the lateral/main, causing a sewer backup. These products should be disposed in the garbage.
  • Roots: Shrubs and trees, seeking moisture, will make their way into sewer line cracks. These roots can cause extensive damage. They may start out small, getting into a small crack in the pipe; but as the tree or shrub continues to grow, so does the root. After time, this causes your sewer line to break, which in turn allows debris to hang up in the line, thus causing a back up. One way to prevent roots from entering your line is to replace your line and tap with new plastic pipe. The other alternative is to be careful about planting greenery around your sewer line. If you have continuing problems with tree roots in your lateral, you may have to have them cut periodically. If you have a plumber clean roots out of your lead, please call DPW so that we can clean the sewer main of the debris.
  • Sewer Odor: Another concern that property owners have is that they can smell sewer odors inside their home or building. There are many ways to prevent this from occurring. Under each drain in your plumbing system, there is a "P-trap". If there is water in this fitting, odor or gases from the sewer cannot enter through the drain from either the property owner's lateral or the sewer main. Periodically, check to make sure that unused floor drains; sinks, etc have water in the "P-trap". Another way to prevent sewer odor is to ensure that the vents, which are located on your roof, are free from bird nests, leaves, etc. When these vents are clear, the sewer odors will escape through these vents.
  • Illegal Plumbing Connections: DO NOT connect French drains, sump pumps and other flood control systems to your sanitary sewer. It is illegal, and debris and silt will clog your line. Consult a plumber to correct any illegal connections.
  • Needles: Unfortunately, some people dispose of hypodermic needles in the sewer system. The presence of these needles in the wastewater collection system presents special and possible deadly problems for wastewater collection and wastewater treatment employees. PLEASE DO NOT FLUSH NEEDLES. The proper method of disposal is to re-cap the needle and put it into a "sharps container". (This could be any rigid plastic container such as a bleach milk bottles please.) When it is full, tape the container securely, and call your local pharmacy for advice on proper disposal methods. PLEASE DO NOT FLUSH THEM OR THROW THEM INTO THE GARBAGE!
  • Install a Backwater Prevention Valve: A backwater valve can prevent or greatly reduce the possibility of a sewer backup. A backwater valve is a fixture installed into a sewer line, and sometimes into a drain line, in the basement of your building to prevent sewer backflows. A properly installed and maintained backwater valve works on a one-way system, sewage can go out, but cannot come back in. Property owners are responsible for the installation and maintenance of backwater valves. The cost to install one is dependent upon the type of plumbing in your home and the difficulty of installation. A qualified plumber can assist you in determining your needs.

What is a backflow or backwater valve?

  • Backflow valves are designed to block drainpipes temporarily and prevent flow into the house. They are available in a variety of designs. A "gate" backflow valve provides a strong seal, but must be operated by hand. The effectiveness of a gate valve will depend on how much warning you have of impending flooding.
  • A "flap" or "check" valve opens to allow flow out of the house but closes when the flow reverses, so the sewer water can't flow back up into the pipes. These valves operate automatically, so the homeowner does not have to be around if flooding occurs, but do not provide as strong a seal as a gate valve.
  • Points to keep in mind:
    Changes to the plumbing in your house must be done by a licensed plumber or contractor, who will ensure that the work is done correctly and according to all applicable codes. This is important for your safety.
    Some valves incorporate the advantages of both flap and gate valves into a single design. Your plumber or contractor can advise you on the relative advantages and disadvantages of the various types of backflow valves.
    Valves should be installed on all pipes that leave the house or that are connected to equipment that is below the potential flood level. Valves may be needed on washing machine drain lines, laundry sinks, fuel oil lines, rain downspouts and sump pumps, as well as sewer/septic connections.
    If you have a sump pump, it may be connected to underground drain lines, which may be difficult to seal off.

I have a septic field and would like to connect to public sanitary sewer lines. How can I do that?

  • Most parcels within the Township have access to the public sanitary sewer line. For those that don’t several options are available to extend the public line to a convenient location near the property.
  • Private construction - The property owner hires an engineer and contractor to draw up and construct a public sewer line to serve one or more parcels of land. The second is through a special assessment district. Contact the Township DPS for additional information.
  • Special Assessment District (SAD) – The property owner(s) petitions the Township to extend the sanitary sewer. These petitions are presented to the Township Board through a series of public hearings and if approved the project proceeds. The DPW would then retain the services to have the sewer extension designed and constructed. Once completed, all costs associated with the design and construction is assessed to the benefiting property owners. Contact the Township DPS for additional information.
Top of Page


I have a private well.  Do I have to connect to the Township water supply?

The Grand Blanc Township public water supply serves more than 18,000 residents in our community. These residents are delivered high quality drinking water from the Grand Blanc Township water distribution system which ultimately comes from the Genesee County Drain Commission water treatment plant and Karegnondi Water Authority intake.

Many areas of the Township are not served by Township water and must drill water wells to draw water from. This is done by private well drilling companies and permitted by the Genesee County Health Department.  The Township DPW cannot service your well and does not have a list of recommended well drillers.

In some cases, there are areas where residents have a well and municipal water is available. In this case, these homes are able to keep their well as a water source even if it experiences a major failure. It is not mandatory for a home to connect to our water supply if they are on an existing well. Newly built homes that have public water available to them must connect to the public water supply and may not drill a well.

Once a home is connected to our water; it may not disconnect to drill a new well. We build our water system based on capacity and demand. If we lose customers and we no longer have the demand but still have the capacity, the water quality and efficiency of our system could drastically change.

If a home is connected to the public water supply and is disconnecting from a well, the well must be abandoned by a licensed well driller (please see Grand Blanc Township construction specifications for more details). In some instances, a private well that is no longer being used for domestic purposes (drinking, bathing, and washing) can be used for irrigation. This is upon approval of the Director of Public Works or his/her designee. The well will have to be removed from home completely and 100% contained outside of the home. This will require and initial and annual inspection by a Township Official.

Township water customers may install an irrigation well for watering lawns and flowerbeds. However, it must not enter the home at any point and be 100% contained outside of the home. This will require an initial and annual inspection by a Township Official.

Beginning January 1, 2016, any residential or commercial property which has 3 water/sewer units or more (A typical house is 1 unit) will not be allowed to drill a new well if they experience catastrophic failure. These customers must connect to the public water supply if the Director of Public Works or his/her designee determines that it is available.  This is to promote public health and a constant and reliable source of water to our businesses and multiple unit residential communities and their customers.  

Please contact the Township DPW for more information at (810) 424-2460.

Top of Page


What are the hours of operation at the police department?

The Grand Blanc Police Department is a 24-hour per day operation. The telephone number is 810-424-2611.   A local dispatcher answers this phone line at all times and officers are patrolling the community throughout the day and night. Routine business is conducted at the office (5371 S. Saginaw St.) between 8:00am and 4:30pm. To meet with a detective or a command officer it is wise to phone in advance for an appointment. For emergencies call: 911 or the local dispatch number listed above.

How do I report a crime?

For emergencies dial 911. For non-emergencies, call us at our office 810-424-2611, or you may come to our office at 5371 South Saginaw St., Grand Blanc, MI 48439.

How do I get a copy of a Police Incident or Accident Report?

If you want a copy of an incident or accident report you may pick one up at our office at 5371 South Saginaw St., Grand Blanc, MI 48439. The cost for copies are $4.00 for the first four pages and .25$ for every page thereafter.

Does Grand Blanc Township have a curfew for minors?

Yes! In May 1996 an ordinance was passed governing the activity of minor persons in public places during nighttime hours. Its prohibitions state that minors shall not loiter, idle or congregate in any public street or place of business open to the public during curfew hours unless accompanied by a parent or someone delegated by the parent.

Curfew hours vary according to the age of the minor.


Curfew Begins

Curfew Ends

16 Years Old



14 and 15 Years Old



12 and 13 Years Old

10:00 p.m.


It is also a violation of the ordinance for any person 17 years old to assist or encourage a younger minor to violate the above provisions

Where may a victim of crime turn for help?

After the police investigation you may want to contact Crime Victim Assistance at 810-257 3493 for legal rights, information and support. Emergency and medical services are available to you, if needed. Victim Compensation Benefits may be available to you. You may write to the Crime Victim Compensation Board at P.O. Box 30026, Lansing, MI 48909

Where do I go to pay traffic fines?

All traffic fines are collected at 67th District Court Fourth Division B located at 8173 S. Saginaw St. (just south of Grand Blanc City's southern limit). The Honorable Christopher R. Odette and Magistrate Dena Altheide preside. The court's phone number is 810-694-2552.

Top of Page

What do I do if I am involved in an auto accident?

Michigan Vehicle Code requires in section 257.622 "The driver of a motor vehicle involved in an accident that injures or kills any person, or that damages property to an apparent extent totaling $400.00 or more, shall immediately report that accident at the nearest or most convenient police station, or to the nearest or most convenient police officer."

Should the above pertain to your accident, or you are not sure, it is in your best interest to call and report the accident immediately. Our office is staffed 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and you can reach us by calling 810-424-2611.

How do I report a suspicious situation?

You may report suspicious situations by telephone, in person, by writing us a letter, or by E-mail.

How do I get a handgun purchase permit?

To be eligible for a handgun purchase permit, you must be a resident of this county, 21 years of age if buying from a dealer or 18 years of age if buying from a private owner, have no felony convictions and have not been adjudged insane or mentally incompetent.   To apply for a handgun purchase permit, you must go to the Genesee County Sheriff’s Department in person at 1002 South Saginaw Street, Flint, MI. Please call 810-257-3418 for office hours.

What is the fine on a traffic/ordinance ticket?

The court sets the fines and costs on traffic tickets. The phone number for the magistrate's office for traffic tickets is 810-694-2552.

What is the Zip - Zero - Zilch law?

In 1996 the state legislature passed a law allowing zero tolerance of under-aged drinking and driving (under age 21). Just one drink before driving can get you busted! When you're stopped, you'll be tested and if you refuse the test your license is cut up on the spot and gone for 6 months.

If the test shows you've been drinking even one beer, you will:

  • Lose your license for 30 to 90 days
  • Pay up to $250 in fines and/or
  • Perform up to 45 days of community service
  • Have four points added to your driving record
  • Pay as much as $2000 in attorney fees
  • Your insurance will increase
Top of Page

What is the law regarding seat belt usage?

The Michigan Office of Highway Safety Planning and the U.S. Department of Transportation say, "Safety belts save lives!" They go on to cite the following statistics:

  • On the average, nearly 4 Michigan motorists are killed each day in traffic crashes, and 400 more are injured.
  • In Michigan, a traffic crash is reported every 1 minute and 26 seconds.
  • Crashes cost Michigan citizens $3.1 billion in 1991.
  • In 1991, 54% of all crashes occurred in urban areas, but 63.3% of all traffic deaths occurred in rural areas.
  • In Michigan, it is estimated more than $750 million is spent each year on medical costs due to the nonuse of safety belts.
  • Nearly $1.5 billion of income is lost each year in Michigan due to the nonuse of safety belts.

Safety Belt Law

Occupant's Age

In Front Seat

In Rear Seat

Under 1 year old

Must be in child car seat

Must be in child car seat

1 - 4 years old

Must be in child car seat

Child car seat or safety belt

4 - 16 years old

In safety belt*

In safety belt*

16 years and older

In safety belt**

No requirement

* Driver receives citation for violations.

** Each violator receives citation.

What are Michigan's anti-stalking laws?

On January 1, 1993, Michigan joined 28 other states by criminalizing stalking behavior in an effort to protect victims of harassment and put an end to stalking. Michigan is believed to have the strongest anti-stalking laws in the nation.

Due to the fact that much of the conduct of the typical non-assault stalker is not illegal, the legislature took extreme caution to draft a definition of stalking that will be easy to use and will not infringe on the constitutional or other rights of citizens.

Stalking is defined as:
"...a 'willful course of conduct' involving repeated or continuing harassment of another individual that would cause a reasonable person to feel terrorized, frightened, intimidated, threatened, 'harassed', or molested, and that actually causes the victim to feel terrorized, frightened, intimidated, threatened, harassed, or molested."

"Willful course of conduct" refers to a pattern of behavior made up of a series of two or more separate and noncontiguous acts which share the same purpose.

"Harassed" is defined as repeated contact without permission, resulting in emotional distress.

When a person is convicted of aggravated stalking the punishment is:

  • Up to five years imprisonment, or
  • Up to $10,000 in fines, or both,
  • Any term of probation (including life), but not less than five years probation.
  • The order of the probation is the same for a misdemeanor, plus the stalker is not allowed contact with the victim's family members or household.
Top of Page

What should I do if I am being stalked?

Every situation is different; so there are no set guidelines, however, consider the following:

  • Communicate to the stalker that you do not want any contact with him/her.
  • Report to your local law enforcement agency that you are a victim of stalking, whether or not you plan to file formal charges.
  • Build your case against the stalker by providing the police with any of all of the following:
    • Documentation (personal journal) of the stalker's activities.
    • Taped recordings of threatening telephone calls.
    • Videotape of stalker's actions.
    • Basic identifying information, i.e., license plate number, make of car, personal appearance.
    • List of contacts with the stalker, including time, place, what was said, letters received, etc.

You may also bring a civil action against your stalker. This allows you to sue him/her for any damage they have done or emotional harm caused.

As a victim, your best weapon against stalkers is the local law enforcement agency. They are a means of protection as well as a source for referrals. However, it is also important to have support from your friends and/or family during this emotionally distressing event.

Stalking Victim's Hotline: 517-543-3775

What is a Personal Protection Order?

A personal protection order (PPO) is an order issued by the court. It can protect you from harassment, assault, beating, molesting, wounding, or stalking by another person. The order can also prohibit him/her from entering your premises and from removing minor children unless the removal is part of court-ordered visitation.

There are two types of PPOs:

  1. Issued only after the other person has been notified that you have filed for a restraining order and after a court hearing has been held.
  2. Issued without notifying the other person and with no court hearing. This is called an ex parte order.

To file for a PPO:

  • Attorney is not necessary in this process.
  • County clerk's office can provide a "do-it-yourself" personal protection order packet.
  • Packet will contain necessary forms and instructions to request a hearing.
  • In case of immediate danger, ask the clerk for an ex parte order form to complete.
  • PPO goes into effect as soon as the judge signs it.
  • Clerk's office will provide a copy to local police so that it can immediately be entered into the Law Enforcement Information Network.

Family Violence Hotline: 1-800-996-6228

How do I acquire a Personal Protection Order?

You may receive a personal protection order only if you are a victim of   domestic violence or stalking. The PPOs are available from the county clerk's office in the county Courthouse at 900 South Saginaw Street, Flint, MI. 48503.   810-257-3225

Top of Page