Holiday Safety Shopping Tips
As the Holidays approach and you are out shopping, we would like to take a moment to remind you of a few simple steps you can take to avoid being a crime victim:
- Always be aware of your surroundings.
- Shop during the day whenever possible.
- If shopping at night, shop with friends (safety in numbers).
- Park in very well lit areas near the main entrance of the shopping center; circle the parking area to check for anything suspicious prior to choosing a parking spot.
- Never leave valuable items or presents in your vehicle and ALWAYS lock your doors.
- Ask a store employee to accompany you to your car.
- If possible avoid carrying a purse or if you do, carry a small purse that can be held close to you.
- Never leave your purse or other personal identification items unattended in a shopping cart.
- Limit distractions: texting can wait, keep your head up and make eye contact with people. Posture and confidence can be a deterrent to crimes of opportunity.
- If you see something that makes you uncomfortable report it immediately. We can be reached by calling 911 or 424-2611.